Although not every raw food is considered part of an Alkaline Diet, if you eat a well balanced raw food diet, you are sure to maintain the right level of alkalinity or otherwise known as alkaline balance. There are several reasons achieving the right alkaline balance is important for you and your health. But before we delve into that, let’s review the basics first.
To understand alkalinity is to understand the pH scale. A pH scale is used to determine the level of acidity or alkalinity. The pH scale goes from 1 to 14 wherein a pH of 0-7 is acid, 7 is neutral, and 7-14 is alkaline. pH in pH scale is an acronym for potential Hydrogen. What does this mean? Potential Hydrogen refers to the possibility to free hydrogen ions. The more hydrogen freed, the more alkaline the blood is. On the other hand, the less hydrogen freed, the more acidic the blood is.
A key to a great diet for optimum health is to maintain a proper PH balance. Here is some great information on ACID AND ALKALINE BALANCE!
The blood carries more oxygen if at an alkaline state. You may be wondering how freeing just the right amount of hydrogen in the blood and maintaining just the right amount of oxygen is important in the healing process and achieving optimum health. Our body has its own system of repairing cells and tissues, and oxygen, just like in recipes, is one of the main ingredients, so to speak. Oxygen is needed by our cells and tissues in going through the various stages of healing and regeneration. Here are some of the published articles that emphasize on the healing qualities of oxygen.
• “Revisiting the Essential Role of Oxygen in Wound Healing” published in the American Journal of Surgery (September, 2003, Volume 186, Issue 3)
• “Oxygen in Wound Healing and Infection” published in the World Journal of Surgery (March, 2004, Volume 28, Number 3)
Now as for the health benefits of an alkaline diet. pH, alkalinity, your health—how do these components work together? Are you aware that for our body to function at an optimum level, the pH level of our body should be between 7.33 and 7.4? That’s right! It is safe to say that the optimum level is leaning towards slight alkalinity rather than acidity. Also, if your pH level goes below the neutral, which is 7, or above 7.45, health problems are bound to happen. It can’t be stressed enough how maintaining the pH level at an acceptable level, through an Alkaline Diet, is vital in more ways than one.
• Acidic environments are perfect environments for fungal, bacterial and viral growth. Maintaining an alkaline balance will protect us from these invasions.
• When the pH level of our body ventures into the acidic side, our remarkable body will find a way to balance it out by finding an internal source of alkalinity. This comes in the form of minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium, among others.
• For acidic adults, when the body taps into the bones for calcium, problems may occur. Since adults, at a certain age, are unable to store calcium, osteoporosis may just be lurking in the corner.
• Acidic pH level results to low oxygen level. Oxygen is vital in various body processes to as small as within the cellular level.
• Alkalinity is said to aid in prevention and treatment of some types of cancer. Oxygenation neutralizes parts of cancer cells.
• Alkalinity is also useful in preventing other kinds of disease such as heart diseases and yeast infections.
A well-balanced raw food diet will help you achieve the right amount of alkalinity that your body needs to function at a performance level. To start reaping the rewards in the form of good health and excellent healing capabilities incorporate the alkaline diet as part of your raw and vegan lifestyle for even better health!