Alkaline Foods are foods that are known to free hydrogen ions, and as a result, these foods enable the blood to carry more oxygen. Most raw foods are known to be alkalizing in nature. There are two ways to determine the alkalinity or acidity of foods—component of the food per se and the output after metabolism. The food you take in may be acidic in nature but may be alkaline once metabolized by the body. The more accurate way to determine the alkalinity of food is to look at the output after metabolism, and this is also known as the ash residue.
A well balanced raw food diet includes alkaline forming foods. These foods, when burned by the body, contain alkaline minerals that leave an alkaline ash residue. So what is so great about alkaline foods, alkaline minerals and alkaline ash residue? Here are some facts that will explain the properties of alkaline foods and why these properties make them a must-have part of our raw food diet.
A key to a great diet for optimum health is to maintain a proper PH balance. Here is some great information on ACID AND ALKALINE BALANCE!
• Foods that leave an alkaline ash are good for our body. A raw food diet that composes of alkaline foods is healthier and is vital in achieving the ideal pH level that will help our body function at an optimum level.
• Almost all of these foods are healthy, not only because of their effect on our pH level, but also because most of the alkaline foods are abundant in nutrients.
• Most foods in the alkaline list are high in essential vitamins and minerals, good fats and live enzymes.
• Most are low on substances that are often deemed harmful to our body when consumed in big amounts. These substances are in the form of simple carbohydrates and fats.
• Foods in the alkaline groups are a great source of energy, perfect for people who are prone to illnesses (since it has healing qualities).
• Alkaline foods are known to prevent various health problems.
Foods to Include in Your Raw Food Diet
Your raw food diet should include 70-80% alkaline forming foods and 20-30% acid forming foods to achieve just the right pH balance. To get you started right away, here is a helpful list of alkaline forming foods. With the 20 to 30% difference allotted for acid forming foods, you can squeeze in some of the fresh fruits that are acid forming in nature just to maintain the balance.
Acid Forming Foods. Do you know that processed foods and overcooked foods are just some of the offenders that tip off our pH balance? Here are just some of the foods we should steer clear from.
• Processed or packaged foods
• All animal foods especially fatty meats
• Most simple carbohydrates
• Sugary and Salty foods
• Dairy products
• Alcohol and Tobacco
As a general rule, you’ll be getting your ideal dose of alkaline foods by following a well balanced raw food diet of salads from fresh and alkaline vegetables, healthy nuts and oils. With a raw food diet, coupled with a consumption of around 2-3 liters of pure and clean water daily, you are sure to achieve the ideal pH balance for the body. So what are you waiting for? Go raw and Go alkaline! Here’s to your good health!